
-----------------------------------
Mircea Pteancu
28 Aug 2008 18:27


-----------------------------------
Si iata si vestea buna pe care o puteti citi mai jos.Procesul de ''slumping'' nu dureaza asa de mult cum ne-am temut,in nici un caz nu de ordinul saptamanilor sau lunilor .In postul de mai jos ,de pe ATM Email List, e vorba de un program de o zi si jumatate.Procesul de ''slumping'' presupune existenta unui cuptor  cu temperatura controlata (cel de mai jos cumparat la ''second hand'' cu 25 parai),a unui disc de sticla si a unui sablon de forma concava al carui negativ  devine discul de sticla.Acesta devine deci un menisc avand curbura aproximativ egala cu cea a viitoarei oglinzi.Economie de manopera si abrazivi cat si faptul ca forma de menisc este mult mai stabila mecanic decat discul clasic:forma da rezistenta si rigiditate cojii de ou.Dupa ce a invatat prin tatonari cum sa stapaneasca procesul de ''slumping'',raportand vreo zece esecuri pana acuma,David Davis vrea sa-si faca mult visata oglinda de 
36 inch adica 90 cm diametru.Mircea
...........................................................................................................

When the glass folks talk about working warm glass what they want is a
fast job.  They ramp up the heat as fast as they can to specific
temperatures, hold the glass there and then run it down.  The problem is
my old kiln that I bought for $25 will not ramp up fast.  Nor does it have
the construction to efficiently manage heat.  What broke the other two
large blanks, and several smaller blanks was trying to run my old kiln
like one of the new high efficiency models.  I had to learn that.  I had
to learn how to run my kiln.

I finally figured out that goal of the melt was to take the glass to
slumping temp, then drop it quick before it slumps too much, then hold it
at anneal, then strain, then cool.  IT doesn't matter how you get there,
you just have to hit those points.

My program to slump the mirror blank was ..

ramp up at 100 degrees an hour to 1200 degrees
Hold for 20 minutes
Fall to 900
Hold for 5 hours
ramp down at 100 degrees an hour to 800
Hold for 90 minutes
ramp down at 100 degrees and hour to room temperature

That ramping speed is so slow that it is very gentle to the glass and
heats it more uniformly.  Because of that I can slump at 1200 which I
think is easier on the glass.  It took a day and a half to run the
program.

I made the mold by tamping sand into the bottom of the kiln and shaping it
with a curved piece of wood and a paint brush.  The weight of the glass
collapsed the mold and I did not get as much curve as I needed.  I reset
the mold using a ring of plumbers tape for the edge of the glass to sit on
and refired the glass.  The glass looks good, the curve looks good.  Next
project is the 36 inch thin blank.

David Davis
Toledo, OR 97391
